At LabGenius, we’re building a platform to discover revolutionary medicines using artificial intelligence. We have exciting growth plans for the next 18 months and are looking for a focused Protein Scientist to join us on our mission!
If you’re a recent graduate, looking to further develop your skills in an environment where collaboration is key, then this is the role for you!
Maybe you’ve recently completed a placement or internship in Protein Production/Characterisation, and are now looking for a company to grow and evolve in. As one of our Protein Scientists, your academic know-how will be essential to this role and your experience in protein production will be put to good use in our in-house wet lab.
What you’ll do in this role.
- Design and generate expression constructs for various target proteins.
- Characterise and optimise protein expression in appropriate host strains, including bacterial and mammalian expression systems.
- Design and implement purification strategies for different proteins based on the requirements for a given application.
- Perform characterisation assays (e.g. affinity, activity) to rank candidate protein sequences.
- Work closely with our automation team to develop reliable, reproducible, high-throughput workflows and support the work of our candidate discovery team. That means robots!
What we’re looking for from you.
- You’ll have strong molecular biology skills, preferably with experience of cutting-edge cloning techniques, such as Gibson assembly.
- You’ll have protein expression experience using E. coli, and purification using FPLC systems (e.g. Akta Pure).
- You’ll have the ability to explain scientific concepts to non-scientists, such as automation engineers.
- You’ll have successfully completed both an independent AND a team project encompassing protein production and characterisation, e.g. during an MSc or internship.
- You’ll have worked on projects that involved troubleshooting or optimising cloning and purification workflows, e.g. to improve yields or purity.
- You’ll have worked in a protein characterisation lab, and understand the requirements of different protein constructs for different purposes.
How you enjoy working.
- Devilishly detailed: you maintain accurate records of work and reproducibly follow protocols.
- Learning fast: we’ll support you with training but expect you to hit the ground running.
- Going with the flow: you’re able to cope with changing priorities, and adapt to new demands.
- Time-lord/lady: you’re great at time management and balancing multiple pieces of lab work.
- Teamplayer: you take pride in pitching in and helping others when required.
What you’ll receive from us.
Aside from being part of our brilliant, purpose-driven team, you'll also enjoy:
- Flexible working arrangements: whether you’re a night owl or a morning lark, with core hours of 10am-4pm, you can choose a pattern that works for you.
- Easy access to on-site gym and climbing wall to break a sweat or indulge your inner monkey.
- Monthly 1-on-1 coaching from Sanctus: because we need to look after our minds as well as our bodies.
- Self-service study budget via Sunlight plus books, courses, and events; we encourage personal development in any form. Basically, we heart learning.
- Weekly team lunches from City Pantry: the perfect time to connect over kebabs, natter over nachos, or cackle over curry.
- Access to the Cycle To Work scheme: to make your commute cheaper, healthier, and a whole lot greener!
We believe that diversity makes for innovative, exceptional teams. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on gender, race, colour, religion or belief, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
Please make sure you include a solid cover letter that shows your enthusiasm for protein production and LabGenius' work!